I love cherries but I can be a bit naive at the variety options. This week for our Harvest Astoria’s CSA, we got tart cherries along with black cherries. I know I love black cherries but what are tart cherries? They are exactly what they say they are.
They are quite tart! I can still feel my tongue puckering at the thought of them. With that in mind, I thought maybe with some sugar it would help so I decided to make some limeade to beat the hot weather this past weekend.
I also picked up this super local honey, Astor Apiaries! The bees are right down the street and the honey was made Saturday morning when I bought it!
- 2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup packed tart cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup packed black cherries, pitted
- 4 limes, roughly 1/4 to 1/3 cup of lime juice
- 2 cup cold water
- Mint for garnish
- Boil honey and water on medium high.
- Lower to medium heat and add cherries. You’ll want the bubbles to help breakdown the cherries or you can smash them yourself. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add lime juice and cold water.
- Store in fridge for a couple of hours and serve with mint.
I had mine with a slice of homemade cherry pies. Yum!