As the month of February and Valentine’s Day fast approaches, I started to think about what to do for a special dinner. Last year, I made chocolate fondue with strawberries for dessert. It was a small enough batch for two people without leftover ingredients so I needed something similar without making a huge batch that would require days of eating.
After trying out the cupcake for two recipe, I decided to alter the recipe slightly to make it a bit more decadent with a hint of red sin.
I also just happened to have leftover strawberries and Maxim’s dark chocolate from my last trip to Paris. Those chocolate had pralines to give it a nice nutty taste.
- 2 strawberries
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon of apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons regular soymilk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa
- 1/4 tsp heaped teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoon of chopped semi sweet chocolate chip
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F. Grease cupcake pan or use cupcake holders. I like to use my ramekins when I can and they come quite handy.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
3. Mix the sugar and apple sauce well. Add vanilla, egg white, and soy milk and mix well.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry until it’s smooth chocolate-ly.
5. Fold in chopped chocolate chips a couple of times.
6. Pour into cupcake and with the strawberries (washed and trimmed), dip into the center of the cup.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Use toothpick to determine if it’s ready.
It came out super soft, especially where the strawberry was situated. The strawberry was super hot compared to the chocolate, which was a good contrast between temperature.