After attending the bookclub meeting, I had a craving for tea and cake, specifically lavender tea. Did you know lavender is used to treat anger and insomnia?
As my vacation looms near and work is stressing me out, what better way to start relaxation than with a cake meant to induce calmness?
I’ve tried this recipe twice, first time was a disaster, since I used honey. The second time came out a bit better. It’s a bit dense due to the lack of butter but I prefer apple sauce in my recipe (I think it makes me feel better that I’m not eating “butter”).
Ingredients for Cake
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried lavender
- 1/2 cup of confection sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree.
2. Zest 2 lemon and juice them. It’ll be enough to make both cake and glaze.
3. Mix sugar, applesauce, milk, and egg well. (Key is beating it well)
4. Add sifted flour, baking powder, and salt into the wet ingredient.
5. Fold in dried lavender and lemon juice.
6. Bake for 45 minutes.
7. Cool the cake for 10 minutes.
8. For the glaze, mix the sugar and lemon juice well. Glaze over cake.
To end this beautiful Sunday, warm and breezy, have the cake with a side of tea. I am having it with honey earl grey.