Meatless Mondays started out as a way for my boyfriend and I to have dinner together instead of eating out or working late. We also found it as a good habit to have for our quest to maintaining a healthy and fit lifestyle.
Along the way, I’ve experimented with many dishes but they never were quite good.
This dish was quite the opposite. I find that the brand, Morning Star has some rather good, tasty veggie version of meat. I had picked up this veggie chik patty and decided to give it a try.
Instead of making it with more carb than it already had, I thought it would be nice to serve it on lettuce with a summery salsa. I’ve been wanting to make lettuce cups since last summer.
- 2 Morning Star Italian Herb Chik Patties
- 2 baby bell peppers, diced
- 2 strawberries, diced
- 1 tbps of chopped red onion
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and sugar to taste
- 8 lettuce leaves
1. Cook the veggie chik patties as instructed by the box label.
2. Prepare the salsa but putting all the chopped ingredient together: peppers, strawberries, red onion. Add lemon juice and salt and sugar for taste. Add parsley for garnish.
3. When veggie chik patties are ready, cut into small square.
4. Lay out the lettuce. Add a small spoon of chik patties on the lettuce. Add salsa on top and serve immediately.
My boyfriend had a side of rice while I had it as just the lettuce wrap. The strawberries were a nice sweet touch to the kick of the red onion. Despite the cold weather, the summer salsa was a nice contrast and beckoned for warmer weather to come.